BitKeeper is the original distributed source management system. Now available as Open Source under the Apache 2.0 License.
BitKeeper is a fast, enterprise-ready, distributed SCM that scales up to very large projects and down to tiny ones.
- Simple: An easy to use command line interface.
- Scalable: Nested Repositories are submodules done right! Version control collections of repositories.
- Flexible: Hybrid mode for binary files that uses a cloud of server for binaries instead of bloating the source repositories.
- Accurate: Tracking of file operations like creates, deletes, and renames.
- Safe: All file accesses validate checksums for integrity. All file writes include redundancy for error correction.
Highly accurate auto-merge that uses the whole history to
resolve conflicts. Most other systems use variations of
- Discernable: Source annotations instantly available.
- Fast: High performance and scales to very large repositories.
- Free: Licensed under the Apache Version 2 license
Clone a project and push changes
$ bk clone bk://bkbits.net/bkdemo/bk_demo $ cd bkdemo # edit files using your favorite editor $ bk -Ux new $ bk commit -y"Comments" $ bk push
Create a project and commit
$ bk init new_project $ cd new_project # edit files using your favorite editor $ bk -Ux new $ bk commit -y"Initial commit"